PROPERTY TAXES GOT YOU DOWN?
Filing an appeal for your Weld County property taxes is a fairly simple process if you have the right tools.
I’ll walk you through the steps below, and help you with the necessary “comparables” you’ll need to file an appeal.
*PLEASE READ THROUGH ALL THE STEPS BELOW BEFORE STARTING YOUR APPEAL PROCESS – YOU’RE GOING TO NEED SOME SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION*
STEPS TO FILING A WELD COUNTY PROPERTY TAX APPEAL
Weld County has made this process fairly simple with an on-line portal that lets you appeal electronically.
FIRST – get your little tax postcard thingy (technical terminology). Find the section labeled “2017 REAL PROPERTY PROTEST FORM and locate where your account number is to the left of the bar code. You’ll need this number later in this electronic filing process:
- Go to: https://www.weldgov.com/departments/assessor
- This will take you to the Assessor’s Page.
- On the menu to the left, click “Protest Real Property Valuation”.
- At the top of that page, it says “Did you know you can file your real property appeal online?” CLICK THAT
- This will take you to a page that lets you know you have a right to appeal, and the types of information that will be required on the upcoming form. Click “Begin Appeal” at the bottom of this page.
- This will open your Appeal form, where you will:
Step 1: Fill in your personal contact information
Step 2: Click “Add Property to Appeal”
- This opens up your property-specific page. Enter your contact information
Scroll down and click “Add Property to Appeal”. Enter your account number from your postcard. Your address and the property legal description should automatically pop up at the bottom of the page.
- Fill in your estimated property value (more on this below)
- There is a box asking “What is the basis for your estimate or reason for review?” (a.k.a., the essay portion of this quiz). Just enter the facts. Something like “It is my opinion that the increase in property value on my Notice of Valuation was not an accurate representation of my home’s value, based on other neighborhood home sales at that time.”
- Step 3: Supporting Documents. If you purchased your home within the last 2 years, you may be able to use the appraisal from your purchase, otherwise, you will need to provide/upload some “comparables” with your appeal.
- Click “Review Appeal”, then submit your appeal.
- You should receive an email immediately from the Assessor’s office notifying you that they received your appeal.
HOW DO I GET COMPARABLES?
You need to contact me (or another real estate professional) for “comps.” Look at your tax notice again. It states that their number came from appraisal data from the period ending June 30, 2016. We have to hop in the way-back time machine and see what homes similar to yours were sold for last spring/summer.
IF YOU WANT ME TO HELP WITH YOUR COMPS:
Send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your property address, the new property value that Weld County gave you, the number of bedrooms/baths, total square footage and finished square footage and how many garage spaces you have. If you don’t know your square footage, I can look it up for you. I’ll need to know if you’ve finished your basement or made any other major upgrades to your home, or if you’re on a “premium lot” that backs to open space/park/water.
When I receive that information, I will provide you with several comparable properties that sold during our target time period. Use these to determine the value of your own home (I just average the sale prices) that you’ll fill in on the appeal form, then upload those comps as your Supporting Document.
If you have any questions, or get hung up during the process, just give me a call at (303) 847-2432.
*Please be patient with me – it’s the “busy season” in real estate – I will work as fast as I can to get you the information you need!*